Saturday, July 14, 2012

Review: Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Publisher: Atheneum
Publishing Date: August 31st, 2010
Genre: YA, Supernatural
Pages: 543 pgs
ISBN: 9781442402003
Source: borrowed from my local library

Rating: 4 stars

Summary from Goodreads:

Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.






My Review:


I have seen this book around for a long time but the thing that I keep hearing from everyone is that the book ends and you immediately want the next one.  For this reason, I have been putting off reading this book because there is nothing I hate more than waiting.  I can be quite patient with my students, but when it comes to waiting and not knowing secrets, I think I am the most impatient person you could ever meet.  So, when I got a copy of Enshadowed by Kelly Creagh in the mail from Simon and Schuster Canada, I immediately put a hold on Nevermore at the library.  It didn't take too long for it to come in and once it did I picked it up straight away.  I have to say that I was not disappointed at all by this book.  I easily fell into the plot and the writing style was great.  I love when an author can immediately transport you to her world and you feel like you can picture exactly what she was thinking of when she wrote the novel.  This is how I felt when I read Nevermore.  

I immediately liked Isobel and I wanted her to get to know Varen a little more.  I was intrigued by Varen's mysterious air and I kept wanting to know more and more of what was going on.  There were a few things that I found a bit difficult to believe.  I can see how some people may disclude Varen from certain activities or flat out ignore him. I can even see how people may start rumors about him or make fun of him but I had a hard time picturing certain scenes in the book where outright bullying was going on.  I know that bullying happens but the scene in the ice cream shop sticks out.  I find it hard to believe that in public and in front of other people that these teens would throw things around and make a huge mess of the store.  I can see one or two people thinking this would be funny and attempting it but I can't see Isobel being the only one with a problem with it.  I don't know, that's just my opinion but I can remember being in high school and people saying some pretty hurtful things but I haven't witnessed anything quite so rash. 

Other than that I think that the hierarchy of high school is depicted well and that the jealousy between two friends is written well.  I liked the dynamic characters and the dynamic relationships that they have with one another. The story is not just about the relationship between Varen and Isobel but also between parents and children, one best friend and another, brothers and sisters, teacher and student, etc.  

I have to admit that while I love, love, loved the first three quarters of the book, the last quarter was starting to get a bit long.  The last part of the book takes place in this dreamland of sorts and it I found it very difficult to follow. I found myself either re-reading parts of skimming through parts to find out what happens.  (Here is another prime example of my impatience)   I just wanted to know what was going on.  I even found when the book ended that I was still a bit confused about what was happening.  I can see what people wanted the second book as soon as they were done the first.  I can't wait to dive right into the next book but I am hoping that it doesn't end on a cliffhanger.  Overall I give Nevermore 4 out of 5 stars and I definitely recommend that you pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment