Monday, March 5, 2012

Review: A Million Suns by Beth Revis

Publisher: Razorbill
Publishing Date: January 10th, 2012
Genre: YA, SciFi
Pages: 386 pgs
ISBN: 9781595143983

My Rating: 4 stars

Summary from Goodreads
Godspeed was once fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos. It’s been three months. In that time, Amy has learned to hide who she is. Elder is trying to be the leader he’s always wanted to be. But as the ship gets more and more out of control, only one thing is certain: They have to get off the ship.


My Review: 
I got this book on audio soon after it came out and I have to admit that while some people were disappointed with this book in comparison to the first, I quite enjoyed it.
Revis does a great job of showing the complexities of human nature by showing the way people begin changing after being taken off Phydus. It shows how hard it is to please everyone and how difficult it would be to be a politician. I like the issues that this book brings up. While some of the people of the ship of Godspeed would have rather been left in the dark and are willing to follow anyone in power, others are quite willing to start a riot/uprising in order to have their voices heard.
I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to be stuck on a ship and not being able to be outside. I would be like Amy, feeling clausterphobic and frustrated. I love being outside and I don't know how I would fare of a ship in the middle of the universe.
Every time I thought I knew what was going on in this book, I was proven wrong. I like when a book can keep me guessing because I usually figure things out quite easily. It was great to read a book and not know what was coming next. I kept asking what in the world is going on in this book and it made it more exciting to read.
One thing that I would have liked to see, is to have all the people in cryochambers woken up. There were so many times when I thought that the people of Earth could help with the ship, why aren't they waking them up?
I feel like this review is a little bit scattered. I have to admit to writing it a few weeks after reading the book. Sorry for that, I will try to review my books right after reading them. Overall, I give this book 4 out of 5 stars and I am looking forward to the final book in this series (it's a trilogy right?).

No comments:

Post a Comment