Saturday, March 17, 2012

Review: I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella

Publisher: The Dial Press
Publishing Date: February 14th, 2012
Genre: Adult Fiction, Chick Lit
Pages: 448 pgs
ISBN: 9780385342063

My Rating: 5 stars

Summary from Goodreads
I've lost it. The only thing in the world I wasn't supposed to lose. My engagement ring. It's been in Magnus's family for three generations. And now, the very same day his parents are coming, I've lost it. The very same day. Do not hyperventilate Poppy. Stay positive!!

Poppy Wyatt has never felt luckier. She is about to marry the ideal man, Magnus Tavish, but in one afternoon her 'happy ever after' begins to fall apart. Not only has she lost her engagement ring but in the panic that followed, she has now lost her phone. As she paces shakily round the hotel foyer she spots an abandoned phone in a bin. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number for the hotel to contact her when they find her ring. Perfect!

Well, perfect except the phone's owner, businessman Sam Roxton doesn't agree. He wants his phone back and doesn't appreciate Poppy reading all his messages and wading into his personal life.

What ensues is a hilarious and unpredictable turn of events as Poppy and Sam increasingly upend each other's lives through emails and text messages. As Poppy juggles wedding preparations, mysterious phone calls and hiding her left hand from Magnus and his parents... she soon realises that she is in for the biggest surprise of her life.


My Review:
What's not to love about a Sophie Kinsella book? Her books are always light and fun to read and that's what I like about them. I much prefer her stand alone books to her Shopaholic books and I was so excited to read this book that I read it as soon as I could get my hands on a copy.
This book is about Poppy, a woman about to get married to a fairly wealthy man. She loses not only her engagement but also her cell phone in one day. Luckily she finds a cell phone in a garbage bin and decides to use it as her own. In doing so, she unknowingly starts a strange virtual relationship with Sam, whose company owns the phone Poppy "stole/borrowed". 


Poppy ends up getting into all kinds of trouble and in the end things conclude on a happy note. (I will not tell you how- you're just going to have to read the book to find out).
Some people have a problem with "chick lit" because it can be a little fluffy but I have to admit that I really enjoy a good chick lit book. They are fun and entertaining and they usually know how to make me laugh. I also like the happily ever after from time to time. I feel like if there was never a happily ever after, the world would be a pretty depressing place. I read this book while I was going through some difficult family things and this book really helped to lift my spirits. Kinsella wrote an excellent book but I never once doubted that this book would be anything less than excellent. Overall, I give this book 5 out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this one too...it was my first Kinsella and at the end I wondered...should I give chick lit 5 stars? But it was just that good. Not all literature has to be deep and meaningful...there is definitely a place for books that can just be a fun escape.

    ♥Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it a couple months ago ... it's a hoot!

    ReplyDelete