Thursday, March 22, 2012

Review: Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

Publisher: Harcourt
Publishing Date: February 1rst, 2009
Genre: YA, Paranormal
Pages: 351 pgs
ISBN: 9780152063849

My Rating: 3 stars


Summary from Goodreads:
The undead can really screw up your senior year ...

Marrying a vampire definitely doesn’t fit into Jessica Packwood’s senior year “get-a-life” plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth—and he’s her long-lost fiancĂ©. Armed with newfound confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire’s Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess. But when a devious cheerleader sets her sights on Lucius, Jess finds herself fighting to win back her wayward prince, stop a global vampire war—and save Lucius’s soul from eternal destruction.


My Review:
I bought this book because I received it's sequel for review from Thomas Allen & Son. It is a book that I have seen on different blogs but it is also a book that I was a little leary of buying/reading. The cover screamed cheesy and I didn't want to read another book that imitated Twilight. Well, they say you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover and this is one of those cases. I have to admit to liking this book a little more than I anticipated. While, it is not one of my favourite books, it is a book that I found to be entertaining.
At first, I couldn't get a good read off of Jessica. At times I thought she was a little whiny and she really seemed to play a lot of games when it came to romance. By the end of the book I started liking her and really rooting for the romance between Jessica and Lucius.
I really liked Lucius in this book. While he could be a bit of a dick, he was also so whitty and sarcastic. My favourite parts of the book are when he is writing home to his family. He has such an arrogant air about his at first but over time he softens and you get to see the real him.
Overall, as I said, it is not one of my favourite books but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I did end up enjoying this novel. Overall I give this book 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment