Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Top Ten Tuesdays- Best Books of 2010


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. This weeks edition is the best books of 2010. I read a lot of fluff this year so it was difficult to come up with my ten best but here they are:

1. The Help by Kathryn Sprocket- This book was amazing. It was all about civil rights in the United States.

2. Still Alice by Lisa Genova- This is now one of my favourite books and it is about a woman who gets diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers. It is haunting and amazingly written.

3. The Passage by Justin Cronin- I truely enjoy a good distopian novel and if you add in vampires/zombies it gets even better. I really liked this book and I'm looking forward to the rest of the books in this series.

4. House Rules by Jodi Picoult- This is a book about a boy who is autistic. He ends up getting himself involved in a murder and it becomes quite difficult to know if he did it or not. It was a great book and I work with children on the autism spectrum so I found it quite interesting.

5. Secret Daughter by Shlipi Somaya Gowda- This book is great and I am looking forward to re-reading it for my book club this year. It is about a woman who is forced to give up her daughter for adoption in India and a couple who are infertile and ends up adopting this child. The story jumps from past to present and is an amazing story.

6.Unearthly by Cynthia Hand- I got this as an advanced reader copy from NetGalley and my review will be posted soon for this.

7. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton- This book turned out to be an excellent mystery and kept me guessing right until the end. Morton has a great writing style and I look forward to reading more from her. The Distant Hours is a pick for my bookclub in October 2011 so I am looking forward to reading this.

8. Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster- This is a memoir about trying to get by in an economic crunch. I really liked the humour in this book.

9. White Tiger by Aravind Adiga- This is a really well written novel and I definitely recommend reading it. It deals with oppression and also deception and corruption. It is great.

10. The Given Day by Dennis Lehane- This is a historical fiction novel of America in the 1920s. It dealt a lot with forming police unions and also has some baseball in it. I really enjoyed this book.

Alright, well these are mine. What are yours?

2 comments:

  1. Great list. I've read Still Alice and The Forgotten Garden, and agree they were excellent. I also have White Tiger, The Secret Daughter and The Help on my to read list. I'm on the fence about whether or not to read The Passage, mainly because I'm not a vampire fan, but I've heard such good things about it that I may just give it a try anyway.

    My top ten are on my blog at: confessionsavidreader.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed The Passage and it reminded me a bit of The Village (a movie by M. Night Shamalan). It's more a dystopian book of survival

    ReplyDelete