Monday, January 16, 2012

Review: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Publisher: Razorbill
Publishing Date: October 18th, 2007
Genre: YA, Contemporary
Pages: 288 pgs
ISBN: 9781595141712

Rating: 5 stars

Summary from GoodReads:
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.
Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

My Review:
I have been hearing nothing but good things about this book for years now.  I don't know why I haven't gotten to this book sooner than I have but I'm glad I finally decided to read it.  I couldn't put this book down.  It was everything that everyone has said it is and more.  Asher is able to capture the emotions of the characters perfectly.  I couldn't help but feel for Clay, who is one of the main narrators of the novel.  He receives a set of tapes made by Hannah Baker a friend of his who had recently committed suicide.  The tapes contain 13 reasons why Hannah committed suicide.  There was a whole range of emotions that were evoked by this novel.  I felt sad, angry, frustrated, empathetic and annoyed all at different times in the novel.  Sometimes I wanted to scream at Hannah that things would have gotten better if she had given it some time.  Another part of me wanted to give Clay a hug and tell him that things are going to be okay.  When I was done this book I couldn't stop thinking about it.  It was haunting and I felt quite sad when it was done.  I couldn't help but think what a waste it was to have someone die for such things.  Don't get me wrong, her experiences were quite serious but I couldn't help but wonder what Hannah might be like as an adult after maturing a little bit.  I think the reason this book evoked such emotions in me is because when I was a teen I seriously contemplated killing myself for a while.  I grew up in a pretty stressful household and that took it's toll on me and I can't help but think of all the things I would have missed out on if I wasn't here.  I am so thankful that I chose to keep fighting rather than give up.  Asher is a very talented author and I can't wait to get my hands on his next novel.  Overall, I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment