Monday, December 9, 2013

ARC Review: The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine

Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publishing Date: December 31st, 2013
Genre: YA Contemporary
Pages: 384 pgs
ISBN: 9780062279484
Source: Received for review via Edelweiss



Summary from Goodreads:
Wren Caswell is average. Ranked in the middle of her class at Sacred Heart, she’s not popular, but not a social misfit. Wren is the quiet, “good” girl who's always done what she's supposed to—only now in her junior year, this passive strategy is backfiring. She wants to change, but doesn’t know how.

Grayson Barrett was the king of St. Gabe’s. Star of the lacrosse team, top of his class, on a fast track to a brilliant future—until he was expelled for being a “term paper pimp.” Now Gray is in a downward spiral and needs to change, but doesn’t know how.

One fateful night their paths cross when Wren, working at her family’s Arthurian-themed catering hall, performs the Heimlich on Gray as he chokes on a cocktail weenie, saving his life literally and figuratively. What follows is the complicated, awkward, hilarious, and tender tale of two teens shedding their pasts, figuring out who they are—and falling in love.

My Review: 

I was excited when Harper posted this novel on Edelweiss and I was able to download it to read before it's release.  To begin, let's discuss the cover appeal alone of this. I love the font. I love the stance the guy is making in his old man sweater with the elbow patches.  I love the look on the girl's face and I also love the hint of sunshine peaking in through the trees. I am a bit of a cover whore and will often forget the titles of novels but I never forget a cover. 
I have to say that I had high hopes for this novel based on the cover appeal alone and I have to admit that while I found the story to be cute, I didn't find it exceptional. 
The story is told in two different points of view and while I usually like this for some reason I didn't quite like it as much this time around.  Wren is a girl who doesn't quite know where she fits in with her family, her friends and in school. Grayson is a bit of a bad boy who wants to turn his life around and he thinks that Wren may just be his second chance.  
I think that my problem with this novel is that I wasn't a huge fan of Grayson.  He is a bit of a downer and never fully takes responsibility for his actions. He admits to the things he has done wrong but that is mostly because he is caught with his hand in the cookie jar so to speak. 
I did really like reading Wren's sections. She is tenacious and has a good moral compass.  She is also trying to find herself and make her voice heard.  She often falls in the background and throughout the novel she seems to find her voice.  
I found myself laughing at some of the shenanigans that happen in the book. Some of them seemed a little far fetched but they were still amusing to read.  Overall I would say this book is cute.  It is a fun read but it doesn't necessarily stick with you after reading it. I would recommend it if you need to read something a little lighter. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment