Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Book Review: Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic

Publisher: HMH Children's Books
Publishing Date: January 17th, 2011
Genre: YA, Contemporary
Pages: 204 pgs
ISBN: 9780547550763

Rating: 3.5 stars

Summary from GoodReads:

Austin Parker is on a journey to bring truth, beauty, and meaning to his life.
Austin Parker is never going to see his eighteenth birthday. At the rate he’s going, he probably won’t even see the end of the year. The doctors say his chances of surviving are slim to none even with treatment, so he’s decided it’s time to let go.
But before he goes, Austin wants to mend the broken fences in his life. So with the help of his best friend, Kaylee, Austin visits every person in his life who touched him in a special way. He journeys to places he’s loved and those he’s never seen. And what starts as a way to say goodbye turns into a personal journey that brings love, acceptance, and meaning to Austin’s life.

My Review:
I have had this on my TBR pile for quite some time.  I was given this book as a review copy via NetGalley.  This is a debut book for Megan Bostic and I have to say that it tugs at your emotions.  It narrated by Austin, a 17-year-old boy who is dying.  I love the fact that it is narrated by a boy.  Many books that I read are narrated by a female and it took me a little bit to get used to reading a book told by a male.  It takes place over the course of one weekend in which Austin is trying to live out his dying wishes.  He takes his best friend and girl he loves, around to different places taking care of his unfinished business.  This varies from trying to get his parents back together to taking a hike in the mountains.  I was reading this book on the way to Quebec City with my husband and found myself tearing up.  My husband gave me a few looks but I couldn't help it.  I don't usually cry during books; I usually save this for movies, TV shows and perhaps sometimes commercials.  It makes you question what you take for granted in life and it really makes you appreciate the time that you have.  While I enjoyed this book, I did have some concerns with it.  I found at times that it was a little unrealistic.  Austin's quest wasn't unrealistic but I did find that some of the reactions to his quest were.  For example, the idea that he is going to bring his parents back together after 5 years of separation was a little bit of a stretch.  I think that it was a little too idealistic and I found myself questioning it.  Overall, I have to say I enjoyed it; it is a short and easy read.  I give this book 3.5 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment