Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Publisher: Scholastic Press
Publishing Date: August 24, 2010
ISBN: 9780439023511
Pages: 398 pages

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Summary from GoodReads:
Young Katniss Everdeen has survived the dreaded Hunger Games not once, but twice, but even now she can find no relief. In fact, the dangers seem to be escalating: President Snow has declared an all-out war on Katniss, her family, her friends, and all the oppressed people of District 12. The thrill-packed final installment of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy will keep young hearts pounding.

***This review contains SPOILERS***

My Review:
I will start this by saying that I have seen many reviews over the blogosphere with people saying they were disappointed by the last book in the trilogy. I wholeheartedly disagree with that. I loved this book just as much as I loved the other two. I can see how people might be disappointed in the book because it is quite glim but that being said I think that it was a realistic portrayal of what would happen in this story. It is unrealistic to expect Katniss to change her personality and have the story turn into a love story. This is a story about survival and rebellion pure and simple. It is a story about the atrocities of war and the innocent casualties that come from it. I couldn't help but feel horrible for Peeta when the Capitol completely brainwashes him through torture. At times I have to admit that I felt like yelling at Katniss to say "He can't help it! Chill out!" Yes, I would be irritated and I would have a hard time reminding myself that Peeta is acting this way because he can't help it but I would do just that, remind myself. Katniss can be a loose canon and in those times I had to remind myself that Katniss herself is a teen who was forced to grow up too fast but at heart she is still just a teen. Like with Catching Fire, I really wanted to see the relationship between Katniss and her mother and sister develop more. Mockingjay had little glimpses of it at times but most of the time Katniss is wrapped up in getting revenge on Snow. The ending of this book was bitter sweet. I never really saw Katniss with Gale; I viewed him more of a big brother type. It was nice to see Peeta and Katniss together and with children. It was nice to know Katniss did not have to worry about her children participating in the Hunger Games. The ending also made me a little sad. I felt a big like there really is no bright future for the remaining survivors. It shows the corruption of power and in the end the leader of the rebellions was every bit as corrupt as the leader of the
Capitol. Overall I really enjoyed this novel and I give it 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment