Monday, February 3, 2014

ARC Review: Cress by Marissa Meyer


Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Publishing Date: February 4th, 2014
Genre: YA, Fairy Tale retellings, Sci-Fi
Pages:  560 pgs
ISBN: 9780312642976
Source: Borrowed ARC from a fellow blogger for review



Summary from Goodreads:
Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.

My Review: 

This is the third book in the Lunar Chronicles and I have to say it is my favourite one thus far.  Each book gets better and better. Meyer takes classic fairy tales, adds her own twists and weaves them together in master storytelling.
This book centers on Cress, otherwise known as Rapunzel. She has been on a spacepod, in isolation, for most of her life.  She has been stuck there by the Lunar queen and it has been a lonely life. The story begins when Cress makes contact with Scarlet, Thorne, Cinder and Wolf.
I can`t say too much without giving away spoilers of the previous two books. All I can say is that this book is action packed but at the same time Meyer develops her characters so well. You end up falling in love with most of them. I definitely think that Cress is one of my favourites but I thought that about Scarlet and about Cinder before. I`m really looking forward to Winter to see what happens next and to see if I`ll love Winter as much as I have loved all the other characters. I really have nothing bad to say about this book or even this series. To add to that, I was fortunate enough to meet Marissa Meyer last year in Toronto and she is every bit as nice and fun as I you would expect. This just endears the series to me even more.
If you have not already picked up this series then I suggest that you do.  

Happy Reading! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment