Saturday, May 5, 2012

Author Interview: Catherine McKenzie (Spin, Arranged & Forgotten)

 Good morning lovely readers.  I have a special treat for you today; I have my first ever interview with an author on my blog.  I have read all 3 of Catherine McKenzie's books this year and I have loved all three of them.  Spin, is about a woman who enters rehab to follow a celebrity to get the inside scoop for an article she is writing.  Arranged is about a woman who decided to try her luck with an arranged marriage rather than go the traditional route to finding a man.  Forgotten is about a woman who comes back after being stuck in Africa for 6 months to find that everyone thought she was dead.  Her writing style is fun and easy to read and I have  no doubt that you will enjoy her books.  She is a fellow Canadian (living in Montreal) and you can find more information about her from her website.  Without further ado here is my interview:

1. Where did you get the inspiration for this novel?

I actually heard of a woman who was placed in a similar situation: was away, got sick, came back and her apartment was taken over.  I never met her, never knew her name or anything else about her; in fact I stopped the person who was telling me the story because I immediately saw the potential of the premise & didn't want to know too much.  I'd been looking to explore the issue of what happens when everyone in your life thinks you should change but you don't for a while, and this seemed like the right premise.


2. Who is your favourite character in this novel?

Emma of course.  But I also found writing Sunshine a lot of fun.


3.  What are some upcoming books that you are looking forward to reading?

I think I'll be reading Lisa Brackmann's "Rock, Paper, Tiger" next.  And after that, who knows.  Suggestions appreciated.  


4. What are some of your bookish pet peeves?

Books where there are no relatable characters.  If I don't care about at least one person in the book, why should I care what happens to them? 



5. What can we expect to see from you in the future? Are you currently working on something new?

I am working on a fourth novel but it's too early to say anything about it right now, sorry.  It will (hopefully) be out in  Canada next year.  


 Well there you have it.  I want to extend a great big thank you to Catherine for answering all my questions and I hope you all enjoyed the interview.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the interview! - Catherine McKenzie

    ReplyDelete