Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff

From the Publishers:

First in a brand-new urban fantasy series from the author of The "Blood" Books
The Gale family can change the world with the charms they cast, and they like to keep this in the family. Alysha Gale is tired of having all her aunts try to run her life, both personally and magically. So when the letter from her Gran arrives willing her a "junk" shop in Calgary, Alysha jumps at the chance. It isn't until she gets there that she realizes her customers are fey. And no one told her there's trouble brewing in Calgary-trouble so big that even calling in the family may not save the day...


My Review:
I have never read any of Huff's novels but I have to say that this book kept me intrigued. It is about a family who has magical powers. Allie gets called to Calgary to take over her grandmother's shop. While there, Allie gets mixed up with leprechauns, sorcerers and dragons. I found that I was pulled right into this magical world and always wanted to know what came next. The characters in this book are amazing. Throughout the novel Allie has a coming of age journey and really grows into a young woman. Her aunties are outrageous and over the top; the same can be said of her cousins. The only thing that turned me off a little with this book is that at times things were not fully explained. You have to assume you know what it is the author means at times. Even by the end of the novel I found myself with a few questions. It seems as thought this is the first book in a new series so I'm guessing Huff is leaving some mystery and intrigue so that you will read the rest of the series. I quite enjoyed the writing style of this novel and I am amazed at the author's creativity. I have her Blood Lines series and I'm looking forward to reading them. Overall I give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment