Friday, October 12, 2012

ARC Review: Burn for Burn by Siobhan Vivian and Jenny Han

Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Publishing Date: September 18th, 2012
Genre: YA
Pages: 368 pgs
ISBN: 9781442440753
Source: ARC received from Simon & Schuster Canada for an honest review

Rating: 3.5 stars

Summary from Goodreads:

BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY...
THEY GET EVEN.

Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister.

Kat is tired of the rumours, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person– her ex-best friend– and she's ready to make her pay.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she's not the same girl anymore. And she's ready to prove it to him.

Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won't stop until they each had a taste.


My Review:  

I was very excited when this book showed up on my doorstep because I adored Jenny Han's Summer series.  I had also just finished reading The List by Siobhan Vivian and quite enjoyed that so I had high hopes for this book.  I have to admit that while I did really enjoy reading this book, I was a little disappointed to find out at the end, by a very big cliffhanger, that this book was part of a series.  I will continue to read this series because it was quite an intriguing plot.  


The book jumps point of views from Lillia, Kat and Mary.  Each of the girls are looking to get revenge on someone and they start meeting secretly to plan this revenge.  I really liked how each girl was from a different clique in high school yet they come together to get revenge.  I have to admit though at times this book was a little far fetched.  While girls can get a little catty, I find it hard to believe that they would go to such lengths to get even with people.  Reading this reminded me of being back in high school, worrying about things that seem trivial now.  That is one thing I think these authors got right, I think that at that age there are always insecurities and they can really make us question what is going on around us. My heart broke for Mary, who was bullied for being a bigger girl.  She is the one character that I really looked forward to reading about.  I kept picturing her and her struggles and it evoked a lot of emotions.  

I really liked the character development in this book.  Each character seems to be going through their own issues and through their journey they start to really grow.  I think that sometimes they do get a little outlandish and I don't necessarily agree with half the choices they make in regards to their revenge but I did end up really liking each of the main characters.  I also like the cast of secondary characters in this book.  Some of them I felt were misunderstood while others I wanted to strangle.  

Overall, I gave this book 3.5 out of 5 stars because while I really liked the characters and most of the plot, I really disliked the cliffhanger at the end.  I also didn't like how they introduced a supernatural element to the book.  I found that it could have been done well without the supernatural element.  I will continue to read the series and I am hoping that some things are explained a little further in the next installment of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment