Thursday, May 10, 2012

Review: Arranged by Catherine McKenzie

Publisher: Harper Collins
Publishing Date: May 15th, 2012 (in US- this book is already out in Canada)
Genre: Adult Contemporary
Pages: 416 pgs
ISBN: 9780062115393
Source: Received from Harpers Collins US for an honest review

My Rating: 4 stars

Summary from Goodreads:
Anne Blythe has a great life: a good job, good friends, and a potential book deal for her first novel. When it comes to finding someone to share it with, however, she just can't seem to get it right.

After yet another relationship ends, Anne comes across a business card for what she thinks is a dating service, and she pockets it just in case. When her best friend, Sarah, announces she's engaged, Anne can't help feeling envious. On an impulse, she decides to give the service a try because maybe she could use a little assistance in finding the right man. But Anne soon discovers the company isn't a dating service; it's an exclusive, and pricey, arranged marriage service. She initially rejects the idea, but the more she thinks about it-and the company's success rate-the more it appeals to her. After all, arranged marriages are the norm for millions of women around the world, so why wouldn't it work for her?

A few months later, Anne is travelling to a Mexican resort, where in one short weekend she will meet and marry Jack. And against all odds, it seems to be working out-until Anne learns that Jack, and the company that arranged their marriage, are not what they seem at all.


My Review: 
This is such an interesting concept for a book.  It is about a woman who breaks up with her boyfriend and has a bit of a crisis of identity.  It is during this time that she attempts an arranged marriage service.  I do not want to give too much of the book away but it was fantastic.  I've said it before, and fairly recently too, I love Mckenzie's books.  She takes these type of "what if" ideas and brings them to life.  We have all say around and played the "what if" game and I love that McKenzie takes it a step closer to reality with her books.  This book in particular makes you think about the construct of marriage.  Many people around the world are in arranged marriages and many of these marriages are quite successful so why couldn't this work in the western world? Personally, I don't think I could do it but that's just me. 
Again, McKenzie is able to really draw a reader in with her beautiful story writing.  I loved Anne's character and I really felt for her when things don't go quite as planned.  I loved this novel and I will read anything that McKenzie comes out with.  Last week, I actually got the chance to interview this author so if you are interested you should check that out.  Overall I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment