Thursday, March 31, 2011

Review: Savannah Grey by Cliff McNish

Publisher: Carolrhoda/Orion Children's Books
Publishing Date: April 1, 2011
ISBN: 9781842551127
Pages: 234 pgs

My Rating: 3.5 stars

Summary from GoodReads:

15 year old Savannah Grey has never felt she's belonged. She keeps her distance, so she's surprised by her attraction to the new boy Reece. Then strange things begin to happen: nature, it seems, is exerting an overpowering force on the world. Birds behave strangely; gusts of wind blow leaves so fiercely they seem to lure people away. And Savannah learns she has supernatural powers. Nature has a purpose for Savannah and her friends. For they are on course to meet the vile and evil Orcrassa, who wants to destroy the world by corrupting nature. And it wants Savannah Grey to help realise its savage intent.


My Review:
This is one of the first books I ever requested from NetGalley and I was excited to be approved for it because I definitely love a good monster story. I really enjoyed the way McNish narrated his story not only in the point of view of Savannah but also in the point of view of his monster the Orcassa. I really found the parts about the Orcassa the most interesting parts of the novel. I have read many monster stories and I found that McNish was able to find a new and interesting way to write his own monster story. I don't think I've ever before seen a story with a protagonist who has a whole defense mechanism against the monster stored in her throat. I have to admit that I did guess the plot twist in the end but I am constantly reading mystery novels so I most often guess the plot twists. The only thing that I would have changed about this story is the ending. I felt that the ending was a bit rushed and doesn't really tie up all the loose ends. I don't feel like there was a detailed enough explanation was given for the thing in Savannah's throat. Also, what happens now? I found the book just kind of ends and I was left with a feeling of wanting more. Overall I give this book 3.5 stars out of 5. If you like monster stories then you'll like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment