Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Fiona Stolen Child by Gemma Whelan

Publisher: GemmaMedia
Publishing Date: 10/07/2010
ISBN: 9781934848494
Pages: 307 pages

Description from GoodReads:
Fiona Clarke, an Irish writer living in New York, has been running away from her past since she left rural Cregora, Ireland, for boarding school. That past finds her, many years later, when her thinly veiled autobiographical novel is optioned for a movie. As consultant to the film, Fiona unearths deep secrets, relives childhood trauma, and connects with an estranged family unexpectedly thrust back into her life. History opens upon her, and Fiona is forced to stop running and confront a secret shame.
Ranging from Manhattan to Hollywood to rural Ireland, Fiona is a stunning tale of a creative woman’s life transformed by loss.


My Review:
I have to say I quite enjoyed this book. It has one of the best opening descriptions that I have read in a while. It vividly depicts a scene in a movie theatre. I would usually post a quote however I have an advanced reader copy and it may not be as accurate. More reason to go out and get this book. It is the story of Fiona who moved to the United States from Ireland. Her book is a novel but it is based mostly about her life. Family life in Ireland was tumultuous and this has greatly affected her life as an adult. It is only when Fiona's father dies that she is forced to face the ghosts of her past and really deal with healing her pain. I could not put this book down. I felt like I could relate on a certain level to Fiona. When stressful things happen in your past many things just show up in your adult life. It may be the smallest thing but when it happens you know that you still have to really heal from the past and move on. The characters in this novel were rich and you can't help but fall in love with some of them.
The novel also explores the idea of memory and how accurate it can be. Whether you remember a situation a certain way someone else may remember it quite differently. Memory is a funny thing and we all put our own slant on each memory. It's sometimes hard to tell what really happens.
Overall, I have to say I really liked this book. Whelan is a great writer and I recommend you read this. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment