Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Rising Sun by Michael Crichton


From the Publishers:
During the grand opening celebration of the new American headquarters of an immense Japanese conglomerate, the dead body of a beautiful woman is found. The investigation begins, and immediately becomes a headlong chase through a twisting maze of industrial intrigue and a violent business battle that takes no prisoners.

My Review:
I really enjoyed the cultural research that Crichton puts into this novel. While I don't know much about Japanese culture there seems to be a lot of research done into how culture would play a part in a murder investigation. I also enjoyed how Crichton makes a point about Japanese investment and business practices in the United States. As stated before I do not know much about such things but it has made me question a few things. Perhaps, I will do some research of my own. I really enjoyed the characters in this novel and found the plot line to be exciting. The plot kept me on my toes; however there were times when I thought it was a little predictable and I didn't necessarily like how much of a know it all the main character's partner was. Overall, I give this book a 3.5 out of 5

1 comment:

  1. i miss michael crichton. i hope ypu watched the movie with wesley snipes and sean connery!

    ReplyDelete