Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hold Tight by Harlan Coben

From the publishers:
Mike and Tia Baye decide to spy on their son Adam, who has become moody and withdrawn since his friendas suicide. The software they install on his computer exposes every website visited, every e-mail and instant message sent or received. But each keystroke draws them deeper into a maze of mayhem and violence that could destroy them all.

My Review:
I have to admit I read this book in one day. The story just drew me in. It also dealt with the issue of the right of privacy vs the role of a parent to keep their child safe. Mike and Tia install spyware on their son's computer because he was acting weird after the suicide of his best friend. I am not sure where I stand on the issue. On one hand, I think of course he is acting weird, his best friend just killed himself. I think it is a little much to install spyware on his computer and monitor his every move. If he ever found out, all the trust that has taken years to build is so easily broken. On the other hand, in the novel it turns out their son is in some serious trouble and his parents were able to help him out of it. One may say, if this is at the cost of losing some trust then so be it. I think you need to find a balance. No one said parenting was easy.
Other than that, the storyline sucks you in and you really can't put the book down. There are a few side stories and in the end they are all brought together brilliantly. I give this book 4.5 out 5

No comments:

Post a Comment