Friday, August 2, 2013

ARC Review: Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas

Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publishing Date: July 16th, 2013
Genre: YA Mystery
Pages:  400 pgs
ISBN: 9781442486591
Source: Received from Simon & Schuster Canada for an honest review



Summary from Goodreads:
Paradise quickly gets gruesome in this thrilling page-turner with a plot that’s ripped from the headlines and a twist that defies the imagination.

It’s Spring Break of senior year. Anna, her boyfriend Tate, her best friend Elise, and a few other close friends are off to a debaucherous trip to Aruba that promises to be the time of their lives.

But when Elise is found brutally murdered, Anna finds herself trapped in a country not her own, fighting against vile and contemptuous accusations. As Anna sets out to find her friend’s killer, she discovers harsh revelations about her friendships, the slippery nature of truth, and the ache of young love.

Awaiting the judge’s decree, it becomes clear to Anna that everyone around her thinks she is not only guilty, but also dangerous. And when the whole story comes out, reality is more shocking than anyone ever imagined...

My Review: 

This book is like candy.  I started this novel and I couldn't put it down until I was done.  I have read a lot of adult mystery novels and I find that there are not too many YA mystery novels that really hold my attention.  I am pretty good and picking out what happened and who did it so sometimes it makes the story a little less intriguing.  With this novel, while I did have a feeling I knew what happened, I was still wrapped up in the story and the characters. 

I like how the story weaves together what happened before the murder and what happens during the course of the trial.  You keep getting little snippets of the characters and their lives.  The little snapshots that you do get do not paint the nicest story.  I found myself hating most of the characters in this novel.  Every single one of them had some sort of character flaws that made them pretty nasty individuals. Usually when this happens, I can't really connect to the story but for this novel it really seemed to work.  You want to keep reading to find out what in the world is going on.  The characters belong to a group of teenage friends but the majority of the time they are looking for ways to bring each other down.  They try to break people down and the minute Anna's innocence is questioned they all turn on each other.  It seems almost as if they were looking for a reason to turn on each other.  I can't imagine being like that towards someone and I think this is the reason I couldn't quite stand any of these characters.

This novel has some mind-fuckery in it as well.  When you think you know what someone's intentions are you find out that it may not be exactly how you think it was.  Overall this is a good story that will leave you wondering what the hell is going on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment