Thursday, January 31, 2013

ARC Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Publishing Date: February 5th, 2013
Genre: YA, Fairy Tale Re-telling
Pages:464 pgs
ISBN: 9780312642969
Source: ARC borrowed from a fellow blogger



Summary from Goodreads:
Cinder returns in the second thrilling installment of the New York Times-bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother and the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she has no choice but to trust him, though he clearly has a few dark secrets of his own.

As Scarlet and Wolf work to unravel one mystery, they find another when they cross paths with Cinder. Together, they must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen who will do anything to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner.

My Review: 

Well, what can I say about this book?  I really really enjoyed it!  This is one of my fave books of 2012.  I listened to Cinder on audiobook earlier in the year and I have to say that it took me awhile to get into the story line.  I'm not sure why I didn't love it as much as everyone else but I just didn't.  By the end I was intrigued and wanted to know more so when a blogger friend of mine got this book for review and it was making its rounds around the Ottawa blogging community I was excited to get a chance to read it.
This book doesn't quite take off right where Cinder ends. It begins by introducing some new characters.  We meet Scarlet Benoit who is searching for her missing grandmother (Red Riding Hood anyone?) and her life becomes intricately involved with Wolf, a man seemingly on the run from his former gang.  I just loved these new characters!  I think the reason I was kind of meh about Cinder is because I didn't quite get invested in Cinder's character.  This was not a problem with this book.  The book flip flops between scenes with Scarlet and Wolf and scenes with Cinder and Thorne, a fellow inmate/escapee until finally they meet up.  These books are fairy tale retellings but they are nothing like anything I have read before.  There are cyborgs and "aliens" and they bring a new dimension to old favourites.  Meyer's writing is beautiful and her world building is amazing. 
If you were on the fence about Cinder and were wondering if you wanted to read this series I would highly suggest picking it up.  You will not be disappointed.  My only negative for this book is that I have to wait until the next one is released.   
 

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this! I was like you, I read Cinder but it took me a while to get into it. This sequel sounds even better then the first one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so much better than the first and the first was pretty good. Now I'm waiting for the next few books.

      Delete