Sunday, November 11, 2012

Review: Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publishing Date: July 6th, 2010
Genre: Adult, Mystery/Thriller
Pages: 352 pgs
ISBN: 9780312595678
Source: Bought


Summary from Goodreads:
On the day she was abducted, Annie O’Sullivan, a 32-year-old realtor, had three goals—sell a house, forget about a recent argument with her mother, and be on time for dinner with her ever-patient boyfriend. The open house is slow, but when her last visitor pulls up in a van as she's about to leave, Annie thinks it just might be her lucky day after all. Interwoven with the story of the year Annie spent as the captive of a psychopath in a remote mountain cabin, which unfolds through sessions with her psychiatrist, is a second narrative recounting events following her escape—her struggle to piece her shattered life back together and the ongoing police investigation into the identity of her captor.
Still Missing is that rare debut find--a shocking, visceral, brutal and beautifully crafted debut novel.

 

 My Review:  

Well for some reason, I love me a book that is slightly disturbing and this book didn't disappoint.  This book is about a woman who is abducted from an open house she is hosting and kept captive for over a year.  The story is told as if Annie, the main character, is speaking to her therapist and it is such an addictive story.  I read this book in no time at all and felt a little sad when it was all over.  I wanted to know more about Annie and her road to recovery.  This book is really not for the faint of heart.  It goes into detail about being raped and being mind-fucked by an extremely sick individual.  At times I found myself cringing and I couldn't even imagine ever having to go through something like that.  I can see how after a while you may start to view the abductor as a person and start to have guilty feelings after a while.  Something like that would really mess a person up.  I liked that this book didn't just focus on the kidnapping but also what happens afterwards.  It focuses on how things can be difficult in your personal relationships when you get back because you have changed essentially as a person.  Your entire personality would be different after such a traumatic event.  I also really liked that there was a bit of a twist that I didn't see coming at the end of this novel.  I found myself sitting there with my mouth open thinking: Where did that come from?!? Bravo to Stevens for throwing me for a loop because it doesn't happen very often.  This was an amazing book that I had a hard time putting down.  Overall I give this book 4 out of 5 stars and I can't wait to read her other novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment