Friday, August 24, 2012

Review: Enshadowed by Kelly Creagh

Publisher: Atheneum/Simon & Schuster
Publishing Date: August 31st, 2012
Genre: YA, Paranormal
Pages: 560 pgs
ISBN: 9781442402041
Source: ARC given to me by publisher for an honest review

Rating: 3 stars

Summary from Goodreads:
True love takes a twisted turn in the second book of this modern gothic romance trilogy channeling the dark brilliance of Edgar Allan Poe.While Varen remains a prisoner in a perilous dream world where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life, Isobel travels to Baltimore to confront the dark figure known throughout the world as the Poe Toaster. This man, the same man who once appeared to Isobel in her dreams and abandoned her in Varen’s nightmare world, holds the key to saving Varen.

     But when Isobel discovers a way to return to this dream world, she finds herself swept up in a realm that not only holds remnants of Edgar Allan Poe’s presence, but has also now taken on the characteristics of Varen’s innermost self. It is a dark world of fear, terror, and anger.
 

When Isobel once more encounters Varen, she finds him changed. And now Isobel must face a new adversary—one who also happens to be her greatest love.

My Review: 
I have waited to write this review because I'm not entirely sure what I think about this book. It is the second book in a series and I think it is extremely difficult to write these books because they have to act as a bridge between the first book and the third book. When doing this you have to keep readers interested but you can't give everything away.
What I liked most about the first book, Nevermore, was the interaction between Varen and Isobel and this was seriously lacking in Enshadowed. I have to admit that this book reminded me a little of the second book in the Twilight series when Edward is absent for the majority of the novel. I know, I know, how could I ever compare the Nevermore series with Twilight? I just call it how I see it.
Anyhow, there were some things I liked about this book. I did like seeing Isobel's relationships with her best friend and her relationship with her family. I love how her brother is always looking for a way to make some extra money but you can totally tell that he looks up to his sister and loves her. He always has her back even if he tries to profit off it. I also like how the mystery of the underworld is starting to become a little more clear.
That being said, I still feel like I don't know what in the world is going on and I can be quite impatient. I just want to know what is happening and I don't want to have to wait for it. I have to say that while this book was not my favorite, I also didn't hate it. I am a bit indifferent at this point if I'm being honest. That being said, I don't think that I am in the majority for this. I think that if you really enjoyed the first book you will enjoy the second book. Please don't take my word for it, go and pick up the book and give it a try. As I said before I think my impatience won out in the end on my opinion of the book and this is no fault of the author. Overall I give this book a 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment