Monday, June 11, 2012

Review: Timepiece by Myra McEntire

Publisher: Egmont USA
Publishing Date: June 12th, 2012
Genre: YA, Timetravel
Pages: 336 pgs
ISBN: 9781606841457
Source: Review copy from Netgalley

Rating:

Summary from Goodreads:
A threat from the past could destroy the future. And the clock is ticking...
Kaleb Ballard's relentless flirting is interrupted when Jack Landers, the man who tried to murder his father, timeslips in and attacks before disappearing just as quickly. But Kaleb has never before been able to see time travelers, unlike many of his friends associated with the mysterious Hourglass organization. Are Kaleb's powers expanding, or is something very wrong?
Then the Hourglass is issued an ultimatum. Either they find Jack and the research he's stolen on the time gene, or time will be altered with devastating results. 
Now Kaleb, Emerson, Michael, and the other Hourglass recruits have no choice but to use their unusual powers to find Jack. But where do they even start? And when? And even if they succeed, it may not be enough...
The follow-up to Hourglass, Timepiece blends the paranormal, science fiction, mystery, and suspense genres into a nonstop thrill ride where every second counts.


My Review: 
I was very excited when I received this book for review from Netgalley. I read Hourglass last year and I loved it. I really liked Emerson's character and I couldn't wait to read more. That being said, I was a little disappointed to start reading this novel and have it be told from Kaleb's point of view. In Hourglass, Kaleb is first presented as a bit of a douchebag and then you start to feel a bit for him. By the end of Hourglass I still wasn't quite sold on Kaleb. Needless to say I found that I couldn't quite get into this book as much as I did Hourglass. I think that it's because I really loved Emerson's character and we don't quite get to see her as much in this novel.
What I did enjoy about this novel is that you get to see and learn more about the time-travel aspect. I don't want to give anything away but you learn more about Kaleb's ability and you also learn that some of the secondary characters in Hourglass have different abilities that previously thought. I also loved reading about the different rips. I couldn't even imagine seeing different things happen right in front of you and knowing that it is a glimpse of the past or the future.
I find the whole premise of this book original and I loved learning more about it.
Overall I give this book 3 out of 5 stars and that is mainly because I just had a hard time really getting into this book because of the shift in characters. I almost wish that McEntire had done both books with multiple points of view, shifting between Emerson and Kaleb. I wonder if the next book will be told by someone else too. Hmm.. things to ponder. I think there are many that will like the switch in narrator and find it refreshing but I just couldn't get behind it.
 

1 comment:

  1. This book is so full of awesome and for a sophomore attempt, Myra hits it out of the park! The twists and turns left me on the edge of my seat with my heart in my throat. I thoroughly enjoyed Kaleb's voice and while I always love his snark, there are moments where his tenderness is so touching, it broke my heart and left me a useless puddle of tears and snot.

    ReplyDelete