Friday, May 22, 2009

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs


From the Publishers:

The "New York Times" bestselling sensation that''s ""Steel Magnolias" set in Manhattan" ("USA Today")-now in paperback. Juggling the demands of her yarn shop and single-handedly raising a teenage daughter has made Georgia Walker grateful for her Friday Night Knitting Club. Her friends are happy to escape their lives too, even for just a few hours. But when Georgia''s ex suddenly reappears, demanding a role in their daughter''s life, her whole world is shattered. Luckily, Georgia''s friends are there, sharing their own tales of intimacy, heartbreak, and miracle making. And when the unthinkable happens, these women will discover that what they''ve created isn''t just a knitting club: it''s a sisterhood.


My Thoughts:

It took me a little time to get into this book. I wasn't quite sure in the beginning but by the end of the book I actually found my self on a city bus trying not to cry so as not to look like a total dud. By the end of the book I was really fascinated by the dynamics of the characters in the book. I was also a surprised by the ending (which I'll keep to myself for those of you who haven't read the book). The thing that took me a while to get into the book was the fact that at some points in the book you are made to think that you know something when it has never been explicitly stated. I could be wrong on the following example but I did find myself going back to reread at certain points. The daughter in the book is bi-racial. Maybe this is a small tidbit that I missed when they were describing Georgia's relationship with James but I at one point I found myself asking if I knew James was African American or not. Other than this, I really enjoyed the book. I found the characters endearing and it makes you feel as if ever after many years redemption is still possible. I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment