Thursday, January 29, 2009

Book Quiz

This is something that I found off another blog that I read. You're supposed to tag people and have them answer and post but I don't think my blog is quite at that level yet. I just thought you might be interested in reading my answers, so here it is.

1. The book that’s been on your shelves the longest:

I think this would have to be In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. I did an independent study on this book in like grade 10. It survived may moves that's for sure. Usually I purge my books in the case of a move just because if not all my boxes would be books. That being said this book has survived a lot. It's a classic and it introduces a new genre of writing. The story is grim but I just had to keep it.

2. A book that reminds you of something specific in your life (a person, a place, a time, etc.):

Fall on Your Knees by Anne-Marie MacDonald makes me think of life in Cornwall. At the time I read this I was in grade 10 doing a book study. I was going through a lot of personal family issues and I have to say that this book really helped me keep my head straight during a lot of that. It made me realize that life could be much worse. I have been through some tough things and everytime I do I think of that book. I will also never forget my teacher's face in grade 10 English when I told him I was doing that book for a novel study. It's twists and complications were a little scandalous for a Catholic high school.

3. A book you acquired in some interesting way (gift, serendipity in a used bookstore, prize, etc.):

I'm not sure if I acquired any of my books in an unusual way. Mostly from the bookstore, the library or from friends. I remember the book that Derek, my bf, first got me. We were doing long distance at the time and I was constantly going back and forth from the Toronto to Ottawa and as a result spent many hours on the bus. So one night on our way to drop me off at the bus station yet again we were wandering Chapters with our Starbucks and Derek bought me Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood. I read it for the entire 5 hr drive home.

4. The most recent addition to your shelves:

Hmmmm... Well I recently got a few books in the mail from Barnes and Noble. They are as follows:
-Night by Elie Wiesel (audiobook)
-Shoe Addicts Anonymous by Beth Harbison
-Dracula by Bram Stoker
-A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
-Sweetheart by Chelsea Caine

5. A book that’s been with you to the most places:

Hmm... I'm not sure. I'm not much of a re-reader so that being said I would have to go with the same answer as question one. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote just because it's moved with me the most. From Cornwall, to my dad's in Ottawa, to my grandmother's in Ottawa, to my first place on my own in Ottawa, then off to Toronto (2 different places there), and then to Ottawa again. Like I said, I've moved a lot.

6. A bonus book that you want to talk about but doesn’t fit into the other questions:

Well, I think that this would have to be A Prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey Archer. I had to read this book recently for a book club that I started. It was someone else's pick and I have to admit I am a judge a book by it's cover kind of girl. Based on the cover I wasn't really looking forward to reading this book at all. I put it off for a while and when it became apparent that I had to start reading it or it wouldn't be done in time I picked up the book and started reading it. Well it didn't take me very long to finish it because I became so immersed in what was happening. I ended up really enjoying the book. I have to say that this has opened my eyes to other books. I like to try new things now. I try not to limit myself to what I usually read and I try not to judge the book by it's cover although occasionally it still happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment